Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions


You may think that the details and requirements for study abroad are overwhelming and endless, but don’t let the details stop you from realizing your studying abroad goals. We've got some answers.
Choosing a program/ Application Process Eligibility and Requirements Academics Costs/ Financial Aid  Travel Specific Requirements
Choosing a Program/ The Application Process
Q: What programs are offered
There are programs for nearly every academic discipline. For example, economics or business courses in Japan or China will give you a glimpse into the industrial/economic growth of Asia, or you can learn about agricultural-based economics in Zimbabwe or Argentina. You can take laboratory classes in chemistry in England or Australia. Pre-med students can focus on global health issues in China and Madagascar. The political changes in South Africa, Uganda and Rwanda offer pre-law students a unique opportunity to study post-conflict transformation. Religion, philosophy, identity and globalization will take on new meaning when viewed first-hand in Jordan, Morrocco, Thailand or Switzerland.
Do you plan to concentrate on a foreign language at GGC? Consider studying French in France, Morocco or Senegal; Spanish in Costa Rica, Mexico or Spain. What better place to study a language than where it is spoken? By visiting the Office of Internationalization, you will literally find hundreds of options in which to chooses.

[ Back to top ]

Q: How Do I apply for a study abroad program

A: Applying for a program will be completed through the GGC education abroad portal:
  1. Go to the program on GGC Education Abroad Portal  and click the “Apply Now” at the right side or bottom of the page. A message will appear; click “OK” to confirm, or “Cancel” to exit.
  2. Select "I have a MyGGC username and password," and login with your GGC credentials (the first part of your GGC email and GGC password). Once logged in, choose the term and year which you want to go abroad (e.g. Spring Break 2017), then click “Apply”.
  3. You will have successfully applied for the study abroad program! You will be notified via email of your application creation, and you will also be notified whether your application was approved or rejected.
[Back to top]

Q: Whom may I contact if I am interested in studying abroad?

A: You can email or
[Back to top]

Eligibility and Requirements

Q: Is there a certain GPA required?

A: GGC students who wish to participate in study abroad programs must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.

[Back to top]

Q: Who can study abroad?

A: GGC students are eligible once you have completed the minimum 24 credit hours (at least sophomore status), have a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA, and are in good standing, regardless of their major. Exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

[Back to top]


Q: How many Credits can I earn while abroad

A: The credits vary depending on the program, if the study abroad program is for two weeks then you will be able to earn up to six credits. The credits depend on the period of time of the trip.

Q: Will my earned credits transfer back to GGC?

A: GGC has agreements with several affiliate program providers, and students are encouraged to consider using one of these providers. For non-GGC and affiliate study abroad programs, courses will be reflected on another institution's transcript and will count as transfer credit at GGC.

Q: Are all study abroad programs credit-bearing?

A: Not every experiential program abroad is credit-bearing. For an education abroad program, students must be sure to verify whether it is credit-bearing or not. It is the student's responsibility to make sure their credits will transfer. For some programs, additional documentation is required. You will need to work with several contacts, including but not limited to the registrar, financial aid, academic advisors, faculty, etc. during this application process.

How to finance my study abroad?

Q: Financing my Study Abroad

A; In general GGC students can use their federal and state aid, including the HOPE Scholarship, for education abroad. It is the student's responsibility to make sure they understand the eligibility requirements and have everything squared away each semester, whether locally or abroad. Stay in contact with that office and understand that changes in course registration can effect eligibility.

[ Back to top ]

Q: What scholarships can I apply to study abroad?

A: There are many scholarships that students can apply for, including Gilman and Boren. Email internationalization for info on common scholarships, but feel free to google the many opportunities that are out there! understand that most scholarships and grants work in a reimbursement timeline rather than prior to education abroad payment deadlines, so plan accordingly financially.

Travel Specific Requirements

Q: Where can I get a visa and passport?
A: A passport is an official government document that certifies your country of citizenship. You must have one to travel outside of the United States and to be admitted to other countries. Click here for instructions on how to renew or apply for a passport.

Review more information on the U.S. Department of State. A visa is an endorsement by a foreign country that you can visit that country for a particular purpose and for a specified period of time. Visas are stamped in your passport and must be obtained from the embassy or consulate of the country you plan to visit. There is space for visas on both re-entry permits and refugee travel documents if you are not a U.S. citizen. Not all countries require visas for U.S. citizens. Most likely the program that accepted you will send you literature with information about obtaining a visa. If not, check with the embassy or consulate of the country where you attend to travel. 

Always be sure to check official state and country sites for any other information, such as travel advisories or pertinent news.
[ Back to top ]

Q: Do I need immunizations or vaccines? Will my insurance cover me while abroad?

A: For more information on recommended vaccines visit the smart traveler checklist provided by the CDC.

Graduate on time?

If a study abroad program is offered by GGC, the majority of the time a student will receive GGC credit. For an education abroad program, students must be sure to verify whether it is credit-bearing or not. Students must verify how many credits and whether the credits will transfer to fulfill their degree-program requirements. Students should keep in mind the difference in academic calendar timelines from abroad universities and GGC when planning, as it is the student's responsibility to have their transcript sent back to GGC upon completion of their education abroad program. Failure to do so, may prevent student from staying on track with registration, payments, etc. locally.

[ Back to top ]