Skip to content

How to Apply for Financial Aid

Financial Aid for Study Abroad

The financial aid you currently receive can possibly be used for study abroad, including: Pell Grant, Federal Direct Loans (Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans and PLUS loans), Perkins Loan, HOPE Scholarship, and other scholarships.

Important: While most students are able to use financial aid to assist with the cost of studying abroad, you may need to cover these expenses up front and then be reimbursed at a later date by financial aid or other scholarships.  Therefore meet with Financial Aid as soon as possible to understand what funds will be available to finance your study abroad program

  1. Make sure to complete your FAFSA application well in advance of your term abroad.  To learn more about applying for financial aid, please see GGC Financial Aid website.
  1. Decide on your study abroad program and develop a study abroad budget for your program of choice.  Your study abroad budget should include costs associated with housing, food, transportation (including airfare), tuition and fees, etc.  The GGC faculty-led study abroad programs have budgets available on the Education Abroad Portal.
  1. Complete the GGC Study Abroad Form for Financial Aid and meet with a financial aid advisor.
  1. During your meeting with financial aid, verify how your financial aid package (fall, spring and summer) will apply to your study abroad program. 
  1. If you plan to attend summer school, please make sure to complete the Summer Survey sent by Financial Aid in the spring time.
  1. Before departing for your study abroad program, please make sure all of your financial aid is finalized for that term that you plan to study abroad.  Make sure that you have paid all tuition and fees for your program before departing.

*If you will be taking part in a non-Georgia Gwinnett College program, you must meet with the Director of the Office of Internationalization and complete the GGC Study Abroad Approval Form, Transient Student Form and the Financial Aid Consortium Agreement before you will be eligible to use your aid to study abroad.  Contact Funwi Ayuninjam,  Director of office of internationalization, 678-407-5300, if you need further assistance with selecting a study abroad program.