Financing Study Abroad
Many students have concerns about financing a studying abroad program and associated costs. However, what most students don't know is that, you can actually apply current on-campus financial aid package to your study abroad trip in addition to applying for scholarships and fundraising.
Financial Aid and Requirements
Financial AidGGC students can use their federal and state aid, including the HOPE Scholarship, for study abroad. Financial aid can be used on any study abroad program for which the student will receive academic credit. Students studying abroad for an academic year are eligible to apply for both the fall and spring grant competitions.
For more information:
Please visit the financial aid page for obtaining financial aid to study abroad.
Study Abroad Scholarships and Funding Sources
A study abroad scholarship is a monetary award for students to use toward the expenses of their program such as travel, course, credits, books and lodging. Students must apply for scholarships and some can be very competitive while others are underutilized. There are several types of study abroad scholarships make sure to visit the scholarship page.
International Education Fee (IEF) StipendsThe GGC Study Abroad Grant Program is funded by a mandatory international education fee (IEF). The program has limited funds, and applications will be accepted as long as there are funds. Application deadlines are as follows:
Criteria for IEF StipendsAll IEF stipend applicants must:
- Have been enrolled the previous semester and be working toward completion of a degree program at GGC,
- Have earned 24 credit hours,
- Have a minimum institutional GPA of 2.5 (transfer GPA not considered),
- Be in the process of enrolling in a study abroad program for which they will receive academic credit.
- Meeting eligibility requirements and submitting an application do not guarantee an award.
- IEF funds may not be used towards study in countries that are currently under a U.S. Department of State Travel Warning.
- Maximum number of awards per student during his/her time at GGC: 2
Award AmountsIf approved for an IEF stipend, students may receive the following amounts:
- Less than 28 days: $500
- 28-41 days: $700
- 42 days or longer: up to $1,500 (depending on availability of funds)
Considerations for determining award amounts for programs lasting four weeks or longer:
- Financial need (based on applicant’s financial aid package),
- Program sponsor (GGC or other),
- Program location (traditional or non-traditional),
- Previous international experience and OI funding,
- Number of credits being earned (applicable only to maymester and summer programs)